The Butrimovich Palace

Address: Brest region, Pinsk, Lenin street, 44
View on Map
Get Directions

The beautiful biulding with antique terraces on side wings and five high stairs, facing the river in the past is called here The Butrimovich Palace.
The owner of the Palace was Mateusz Butrimovich (1745-1814), an active Polessye public person, reformer, town judge, Lithuanian Tribunal deputy. Being a patriot of Polessye, he played a significant role in economic development of the region, swamps irrigation engineering, building Oginsky (1767-1783) and Royal (1775-1783) water channels making Pinsk an international port-town.

Картинки по запросу дворец бутримовича

As soon as Royal channel connected the rivers Pina and Mukhavets M. Butrimovich appointed a fleet (“Polessye fleet”) for a trip  to Gdansk through Warsaw in order to display Polessye goods in Europe. The fleet made the greatest impression on Warsaw. People rushed to the embankment to see the Polessye fleet. The foundation of the Palace was held on September 9, 1784. Stanisіaw August Poniatowski put the first stone into its foundation. The Palace was designed by K. Schildhaus and had being built for 10 years. The frontage is decorated with columns and semi-columns.  Early classicism and Barocco joined here.

The three Polessye clans - the Butrimovichs, the Ordas and the Skirmunts owned the Palace by turns. M. Butrimovich’s grandson, lived here for a long time. Being a painter, musician, composer and pedagogue, he travelled round his native region creating wonderful romantic and photography-like paintings. The Butrimovich Palace became the place of collection of his artistic heritage. The last owner of the Palace Konstancja Skirmunt (1851-1933) gave 971 paintings by Napoleon Orda to Krakow Museum and saved them this way from fire burned the Palace in 1901. After a hotel complex was built near the Palace in 20th century a stable and unique irrigation system that had been taking away ground waters from the foundation for 150 years, was destroyed. In course of Soviet times the Palace served as children cinema and Pioneer Palace. In 2009 a 2-year reconstruction was finished and the Palace became the town Wedding Rooms.

Read More


Free-visit Castles

The top list of free attractions in Belarus is opened by Belarusian castles. Combining various architectonic and constructive elements and traits of different epochs and styles, they become a great touristic opportunity not only for those interested in history and culture, but actually for everyone.

Niemcewicz Estate In Skoki Village

The magnificent Baroque-style estate was built in the 1770s to the order of Marceli Niemcewicz, a representative of the old family. The estate was inherited by his son Julian Niemcewicz, a writer, historian, and public figure, who served as an aide-de-camp to Tadeusz Kosciuszko and participated in the drafting of the first European constitution.

Krevo Castle ruins

The many colourful stories surrounding Krevo Castle ruins, from secret tunnels to trapped princesses, make it one of the most popular tourist attraction in Belarus.

Comments