Mozyr. The Land of Wooden Castles

Address: Gomel Region, Mozyr
View on Map
Get Directions

Mazyr is a city in Gomel Region of Belarus on the Pripyat River. Mozyr is known as a center of oil refining, machine building, and food processing in Belarus. It is home to one of the largest oil refineries in Belarus, pumping out 18 million metric tons per year! The Druzhba pipeline carries crude oil from Russia splitting in two at Mazyr. One pipeline branch is directed into Poland and the other one to Ukraine.

Mozyr first mentioned in the mid-12th century as part of Duchy of Vladimir, and then the Duchy of Kiev. In the 13th century it was conquered by the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Initially a small settlement, in the 15th century it was donated to Duke Michael Glinski, who converted it into a town. The city received town rights (Magdeburg Law) first from king Stefan Batory in 1577 and then from king Sigismund III of Poland in 1609. During the Polish-Soviet War of 1920 the town was captured by the Polish Army in the so-called Mozyr Operation. Polish 9th Infantry Division captured the city in a swift and daring manoeuvre that earned its commanding officer Wladyslaw Sikorski (later Prime Minister of Poland) a promotion to general.

Мозырь

Mozyr is one of the oldest towns in Belarus: the remains of five ancient settlements with the oldest being four thousand years old were found on the territory of the town. In the 15th century in the center of Mozyr there was a castle that was repeatedly ravaged by the Tatars, and in 1649 was captured and burned down by Prince Janusz Radziwill. In 2005 by the 850th anniversary of the town, the wooden Mozyr Castle was restored on its historic site. Since then it has become a popular tourist attraction. The most iconic sites in the town are the Roman-Catholic Church of St. Michael the Archangel and the Bernardine monastery of the 17th century, St. Michael's Cathedral, a brewery founded in 1885, the building of the male gymnasium of the 19th century and St. Nicholas Church in the Constructivism style.

Sights in Mozyr:

  • St. Michael's Orthodox Cathedral. Built in 1760-s, this two-towered church is a typical example of Baroque architecture of the region.

  • St. Michael's Catholic Church. A nice little church built in 1743-45. The interior is rather simple but pleasant.

  • The Bernardine monastery

  • St. Nicholas Church

  • The Pripyat River embankment

  • Youth Boulevard

Museums:

  • The Mozyr Castle (Gora Kommunarov str., 8)

  • The museum of Local History (Gora Kommunarov str., 8)

  • Museum-workshop of N. Pushkar (Yakub Kolas str., 1a)

  • «Paleskaya veda» (Folk Culture Museum, Komsomolskaya str., 15)

Read More


Lida. Visiting a Fairytale

The name Lida is derived from the name of the river Lidzeya. Its origin is associated with the Lithuanian appellative Lyda - Lydimas, meaning to fuse, to cast (denoting forest clearing). As Lida is quite a small town, there are only 2 hotels in it. It may be better to stay in a hotel in Grodno and visit the town and castle from there.

Molodechno. At The Crossroads Of Epochs

The history of Molodechno is an essential part of the Belarusian history. It is proud of the well-known people who contributed to the national and world history and culture. Molodechno was first mentioned in a document on obedience to Grand Duke of Lithuania Yagailo that was signed by Duke of Novgorod-Seversk Dmitry Olgerdovich in the Molodechno castle on December 16, 1388.

Navahrudak: The Land Of Kings

In the 14th century it was an episcopal see of the Metropolitanate of Lithuania. It is a possible first capital of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. It was first mentioned in the Sophian First Chronicle and Fourth Novgorod Chronicle in 1044 in relation to a war of Yaroslav I the Wise against Lithuanian tribes. During the 16th century, Maciej Stryjkowski was the first who, in his chronicle, proposed theory, that Navahrudak became the capital of the 13th century state.

Comments