Holy Martyr Grand Princess Elizabeth Convent

Address: Minsk, Vygotskogo street, 6
View on Map
Get Directions

This extraordinary ensemble on the outskirts of Minsk including four churches, a shop, crafts facilities and other buildings was founded in 1999 as a centre for over 70 Orthodox nuns, novices and lay labourers who’ve all given their lives to providing spiritual and social help to the sick and suffering. Also involved in a tireless amount of outreach work as well as running a farmstead for recovering alcoholics and other people down on their luck, the women oversee an enormous amount of activity at the convent.

The complex is open to the public with tours available in English, taking in several of the things taking place inside the buildings including a number of workshops making stained glass, icons and other works of art that as well as help decorate the convent and its four churches also give young people new skills and, through the sale of many of the things they make, a valuable source of income. 

The icon workshops are particularly fascinating and include not only new works of art but a small department who renovate damaged icons from Belarus and beyond. The churches can also be visited, perhaps the most interesting being the Church of St. Nicolas the Wonder Worker, where the women of the convent read from the Psalter around the clock in hour-long shifts in order to save the world.

Read More


Church of All Saints

Such temples are built once in a thousand years. Therefore, the construction of templates based on stereotypes was inadmissible for the creators of the complex.

The Grodno Lutheran Church

The Grodno Lutheran church, which presumably was built in 1783, is still performing its function. Lutheran church in Belarus - a rarity, but in terms of architecture, the building is almost indistinguishable from an ordinary Catholic church.

Church of the St. Nicolas (Logoisk)

Church of the St. Nicolas was built in 1866. Unlike the old church of the same name which was placed in the low place outside Logoysk, the new temple was built directly in the settlement on the hill. A remarkable event in the life of St. Nicholas Church occurred in 1907.

Comments