Krevo Castle ruins

Address: Krevo Castle
View on Map
Get Directions

The Krevo Castle ruins are situated near the town of Smorgon in the Grodno region of Belarus. Krevo Castle is one of the oldest Belarus castles and dates from the early 14th century. It is an important place in Belarus because it was the first all-stone castle to be built in the region. The stone walls were 2.5m thick and 13m high. The castle had two towers which guarded the rest of the fortress. Grand Duke Keistut was murdered in the castle in 1381, and in 1385 the famous Krevo Union (between Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania) was signed here. During the 16th century the Tatars and the Russians tried to capture the castle but it remained intact. By the early 19th century the castle was abandoned and the buildings were mostly destroyed during World War 1. 

Картинки по запросу Кревский замок

Картинки по запросу Кревский замок

Today only the ruins of the castle remain. The perimeter walls can still be seen, but only a few fragments of the towers are still intact. There is a magnificent view of the ruins from the top of nearby Yuryeva Mountain. Many legends surround the Krevo Castle ruins, including tales of an underground tunnel from the castle to Vilnius, and a beautiful princess who was bricked up alive in the castle walls. There is a pagan temple on Yuryeva Mountain and 1 of 4 amulet boulders, which used to lie at the entrance of Krevo to protect the town against trouble and disease, still remains.

Картинки по запросу Кревский замок

Картинки по запросу Кревский замок

Read More


Museum-Estate of Ilya Repin "Zdravnevo"

The Zdravnevo estate is located near the village of Koitovo, on the left bank of the Western Dvina. In 1892 it was acquired by the famous Russian painter Ilya Repin.

World Famous Magnificent Nesvizh Palace

Nesvizh Palace is considered the country’s most beautiful and renowned palace. Its richly diverse architecture and attractive gardens were designated the national historical and cultural reserve, and in 2006 it was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.

The Palace of Tyzengauz

Postavy is known since 1552 as a private settlement. In the second half of the XVIII century A. Tyzengauz was its owner. It was his initiative to build here some plants, a weaving factory, a mill, a tannery, an architectural complex of dwelling houses.

Comments