Lida Castle

Address: Lida Castle
View on Map
Get Directions

Lida Castle (Lidskiy zamok) was built in the early 14th century by Grand Duke Gediminas of Lithuania. Famously built on sand, Lida Castle has withstood 7 centuries of battles and occupations of the surrounding land. Lida Castle is similar in layout to another famous place in Belarus, Mir Castle. Boulder walls constructed in the early 14th century were later faced with red brick. The castle dominates the town of Lida, which was badly damaged in a fire in 1891. Stones from the south-western tower and parts of the western wall of the castle were used to repair fire-damaged houses.

Картинки по запросу лидский замок

Картинки по запросу лидский замокIn the 1920s work began to restore some of the castle walls. On January 22, 1940 the Castle of Lida was awarded the status of an archeological monument and in 1953 the castle was taken under state protection. Lida castle today is an all-season tourist attraction, drawing thousands of visitors every year. During the summer, knights’ tournaments are regularly held in this Belarus castle. In the winter time the inner yard of the castle, an area 80m by 80m, is converted into an ice-skating rink.

Картинки по запросу лидский замок

Картинки по запросу лидский замок

Картинки по запросу лидский замок

Read More


Niemcewicz Estate In Skoki Village

The magnificent Baroque-style estate was built in the 1770s to the order of Marceli Niemcewicz, a representative of the old family. The estate was inherited by his son Julian Niemcewicz, a writer, historian, and public figure, who served as an aide-de-camp to Tadeusz Kosciuszko and participated in the drafting of the first European constitution.

The Palace of Tyzengauz

Postavy is known since 1552 as a private settlement. In the second half of the XVIII century A. Tyzengauz was its owner. It was his initiative to build here some plants, a weaving factory, a mill, a tannery, an architectural complex of dwelling houses.

The Butrimovich Palace

The beautiful biulding with antique terraces on side wings and five high stairs, facing the river in the past is called here The Butrimovich Palace.

Comments