Saint Sophia Cathedral in Polotsk

Address: Saint Sophia Cathedral in Polotsk
View on Map
Get Directions

This architectural specimen has been nominated for the UNESCO World Heritage List. St. Sophia (Hagia Sophia) Cathedral is distinguished by remarkable and symbolic architecture. It was built on the right bank of the Western Dvina River in the 11th century. In the mid-18th century it was rebuilt to the design of architect Jan Krzysztof Glaubitz in the Vilna Baroque Style (Late Belarusian Baroque Style). However, some elements of the original church survive to these days. They are fragments of masonry, the ancient foundation that remained virtually intact, a part of the apse, pillars and walls, and amazing frescos dating back to the second half of the 11th century. The cathedral still impresses onlookers by its stunning beauty and awe-inspiring grandeur. It is noteworthy that an exact replica of the 11th century St. Sophia Cathedral is to be built in another famous Belarusian city - Vitebsk. The cathedral will also stand on the bank of the Western Dvina River.

Картинки по запросу софийский собор в полоцке

Картинки по запросу софийский собор в полоцке

St. Sophia Cathedral in Polotsk was the third cathedral of this kind built in Ancient Rus and the fourth in the world. St. Sophia Cathedral in Polotsk like its “elder sisters” in Kiev and Novgorod was constructed to the same design as the famous Hagia Sophia Cathedral in Constantinople. The Greek work “Sophia” means holy wisdom. However Polotsk residents understood it more broadly. For them the word meant human unity, solidarity of all people living in the Principality of Polotsk. The cathedral was first mentioned in The Life of St. Euphrosyne of Polotsk and The Tale of Igor’s Campaign of the 12th century. This magnificent building was erected by Byzantine architects and local residents upon the order of Vseslav the Sorcerer in 1044-1066. Being a symbol of independence and power of the Principality of Polotsk, the temple resembled a white ship flowing along the Western Dvina River. The design of the cathedral embrace both Byzantine and local architectural traditions. The cathedral was erected in the Upper Castle between the Prince’s dwellings and the mansion of the bishop, which emphasized the role of church in the country.

Картинки по запросу софийский собор в полоцке

Картинки по запросу софийский собор в полоцке

St. Sophia Cathedral in Polotsk became a religious, cultural and educational center. It accommodated a huge library, archives, treasury, magistrate, and halidoms. It was the place where diplomatic receptions were arranged. There was also a royal family vault in the cathedral. Archeologists discovered 16 sarcophagi there. After the Union of Brest was signed in 1596, the cathedral was given to the Greek Catholic Church and reconstructed after the fires of 1607 and 1648. During the reconstruction, the upper part of corner defense towers of the church was removed upon the order of Archbishop Josaphat Kuntsevych. During the Great Northern War Peter I ordered to use the cathedral as an ammunition warehouse. The cathedral was heavily damaged by an explosion in 1710. 

Картинки по запросу софийский собор в полоцке

In the 18th century famous architect Jan Krzysztof Glaubitz rebuilt St. Sophia Cathedral in the Vilna Baroque style on the request of Archbishop of Polotsk Florian Hrebnicki. During the war of 1812 the sacred Orthodox halidom – the Cross of Euphrosyne of Polotsk - was kept in the wall of the cathedral, in a specially carved niche. In 1913, the surviving frescos on the walls of the church were restored. During the Great Patriotic War the cathedral housed a garrison church of the Nazi troops. Today St. Sophia Cathedral is one of the major cultural centers of Belarus. It hosts religious services and ceremonies, excursions, concerts and recitals. As a museum of architecture and a concert hall, St. Sophia is part of the Polotsk National Historical And Cultural Museum-Reserve.

Картинки по запросу софийский собор в полоцке

Read More


Trinity Church in Vidzy

The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Trinity Church) in the village of Vidzy is Belarus’ second largest Roman Catholic church after the church in Budslav.

The Temple of God's Body (Corpus Christi church)

The grandiose temple was built in 1584-1593. It was used as a church of the Jesuit monastery designed by the Italian architect Giovanni Maria Bernardoni.

Catholic Church of St. Anthony of Padua

Tourists who love nature, water and tranquility, often visit Postavy. But not everyone knows that there are many places of interest here. In 1898-1904, under the direction of architect Arthur Goibel, a neo-Gothic church of St. Anthony of Padua was built here, which today is the vertical accent of the historical center of Postavy.

Comments