Catholic Church of St. Anthony of Padua

Address: Vitebsk Region, Postavy
View on Map
Get Directions

Tourists who love nature, water and tranquility, often visit Postavy. But not everyone knows that there are many places of interest here. In 1898-1904, under the direction of architect Arthur Goibel, a neo-Gothic church of St. Anthony of Padua was built here, which today is the vertical accent of the historical center of Postavy. It is built of red brick and has the shape of a cross. The building of the church was badly damaged during the First World War, but then it was rebuilt in the 1920s. After the city joined the BSSR in 1939, the last abbot of the church Boleslav Matseevsky was arrested and died in Stalin's camps. The church was closed, and after World War II there was a warehouse in it, later - a shop of an industrial enterprise. The shrine was returned to Catholics only in 1988. After a long restoration, the church was opened for worship. The main architectural dominant of the church is a four-sided belltower with a faceted spire above the central part of the main facade.

 

Read More


The Grodno Lutheran Church

The Grodno Lutheran church, which presumably was built in 1783, is still performing its function. Lutheran church in Belarus - a rarity, but in terms of architecture, the building is almost indistinguishable from an ordinary Catholic church.

Trinity Church in Vidzy

The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Trinity Church) in the village of Vidzy is Belarus’ second largest Roman Catholic church after the church in Budslav.

Church of Saints Simon and Helena (Red Church)

Church of St. Simeon and St. Helen or Red Church - an architectural monument of Gothic with elements of Art Nouveau. Built in 1905-10 years on Independence Square in the modern means of a landowner Edward Voinilovich in memory of his dead children too early. Architects were B. Marconi, G. Poyazdersky.

Comments