The Grodno Lutheran Church

Address: Grodno, 1 Maya str., 5
View on Map
Get Directions

The Grodno Protestant Church is the only acting Lutheran church in Belarus. The church was first mentioned in 1793 when King Stanislaw II presented the building of the former tavern to the Lutheran community that comprised craftsmen coming from Germany to work in Grodno. By 1843 the building of the former tavern was rebuilt into a stone church. The church was almost destroyed during World War One and World War Two. In 1993 the community of Grodno Lutherans resumed the activity of the church.

At the beginning of the 20th century a new church in the style of Gothic Revival was built on the site of a small wooden church. However, a difficult period began for the local Lutherans. During the First World War, the tsarist authorities deported Grodno Germans deep into Russia, and the Lutheran community declined several times. Since the 1940s, the state archives were housed in the building of the church, and  the interior of the church was significantly altered. By the beginning of the XXI century the Lutheran church was in a poor condition, but in recent years, its restoration was carried out. At present, the kirkh acts.

 

Read More


Church of the St. Nicolas (Logoisk)

Church of the St. Nicolas was built in 1866. Unlike the old church of the same name which was placed in the low place outside Logoysk, the new temple was built directly in the settlement on the hill. A remarkable event in the life of St. Nicholas Church occurred in 1907.

Holy Spirit Cathedral in Minsk

One of the most visible churches in Minsk, with its central location overlooking the Svisloch river in the historic Upper Town, the Cathedral of the Holy Spirit is the most important Russian Orthodox church in the city. Its origins date back to the 17th century when the building served as a Catholic Bernardine monastery.

Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity in Gerviaty

A magnificent church in the Neo-Gothic style, which can decorate any European capital, was built in the village of Gerviaty in the years 1899-1903 at the expense of Prince Olszewski.

Comments